Tuesday, September 24, 2013

267. "The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play." ~ Dr. Seuss



Looking out the window, it feels colder than it is.  The rain has been a welcome respite from the unrelenting heat.

Last night, I went to the school board meeting.  It was my turn to go and I wasn't looking forward to it.  As I was sitting waiting for the meeting to begin, I looked over and saw a face that felt familiar.

Her name popped in my head and as we looked at each other and I said, "Ashley?"  She nodded yes.

Years ago, early in my move to administration, Ashley's family moved to my school district.  Ashley was a little thing with enough anger packed inside her to fill a grown man.  She clawed and growled her way through 1st grade until we were finally able to get her tested and placed in a special program for kids with severe emotional behavioral issues.  

I've thought of Ashley many times over the past eleven years.  But last night she looked so different than my memory of her.  She was happy and smiling.  I jumped up and gave her a hug.

As the board meeting started, the superintendent called out her name.  Ashley was being recognized for an award as a senior in high school.  When her current principal went to stand with her for the picture, she stopped the photographer and pointed to my former principal and me.  She wanted us in the picture with her.

My heart was so full.  She is a success story.

Best school board meeting ever.

No comments: