Thursday, June 28, 2012

180/366 "The bluebird carries the sky on his back." ~ Henry David Thoreau




Late last night, I received a text from a friend.  Her daughter had delivered a baby and it was a stillborn.

I cried when I told my running partner about the late night text.  I just can't imagine such loss.

This afternoon I got an email from a teacher that I used to teach with back in the days before I moved into administration.  We were part of a four member team -- and we were close.  When you teach middle schoolers, you need to be close with your team to try and maintain some semblance of sanity.

I found out that one of the teachers (who had moved away years ago) had lost her son in a car accident this past January.

For the second time today, I cried.

The team is all meeting for dinner tonight.  It is the first time we've all gotten together since 2001.  I'm sure there will be tears.  And I'm sure there will be laughter, too.

And I'm sure my boys will soon be tired of me telling them how much I love them.  Today has been more than full of reminders at just how delicate life can be.

As for the bird in the picture, we all got these bluebirds (that was the name of our team) and signed the bottom at the end of 2001 when two of us were leaving the team.  I've always kept this curio to remind me of that happy time in my life.






No comments: