Monday, May 10, 2010

Joy is the simplest form of gratitude ~ Karl Barth

When the parent of a habitually tardy or absent student called to to tell me the kids had missed the bus (again) and her car wouldn't start, I decided to go to her house to get the kids. While there, we called someone to come jump start the car so she could go get another battery.

This parent hasn't been the most cooperative over the past couple of years but today, I saw a different person. She is a struggling young mother living in poverty trying to do the best she can with what she has.

I need to make more home visits. They help me understand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understand the stuggles of these parents. They are trying and doing the best....to me, this mother cared enough to make a telephone call and you cared enough to answer her call for help.

At times, it's my entitled parents/kids that I don't understand. I'd love to take a field trip to a depressed area of the city to show them real life.

Unknown said...

i love this photo! And at least you could be there to help!