Thursday, August 30, 2012

243/366 I used to think a dog bed was a cushion on the floor




The dog I had before my husband and I got married went to live with a friend because my man just wasn't in love with her.  As soon as the honeymoon was over (or maybe during the honeymoon), I began begging for us to get a dog.  After a few months, we drove over an hour away to pick a puppy from a litter of Dachshunds.

On the drive over, the man said, "The dog can live on the porch and in the yard but I don't want it all over the house."

On the drive home, the man said, "She can come in the house but I don't want her all over the furniture."

A week later, the man said, "She can get on the furniture but I don't want her in our bed."

A month later, as the man returned from the pet supply store, he said, "These steps will help her get into the bed with us."

Since the whole back debacle, she is unable to jump onto furniture -- but we pick her up and hold her with us there.  She has slept in a travel crib for the past 5 years.  The extra towels and blankets are there for the daily changes (which sometimes happen in the middle of the night) as she has accidents.

She is a lot of work but the best thing about that sweet Mili is that she made the man a dog person.  I don't think we'll ever be without a dog in our lives -- and that makes me happy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh yes - have had the same conversation with the man who is often at my house. Initially it was no dog on the bed, on the furniture, etc.

She ends up sleeping between us in the bed. The man treats her like his child. So sweet. It's just silly. But she is the cutest thing ever - and 1/2 dachshund. xoxo