Friday, November 23, 2012

327/366 My Opa



It was a smaller crowd for Thanksgiving than usual.  My mother and I prepared all the sides, my husband smoked the turkey, and my grandmother made a couple of her famous desserts.  As we were warming up the food, my aunt went to get my grandfather.

He is stronger than the last time I saw him.  He sighed with relief to be able to sit down in the chair that has been his for more years than I can remember (it has survived several recoverings and repairs).  More than three weeks had passed since he'd last just sat in his chair.

My grandmother pulled up  a chair beside him and started to cry.  My grandmother who lost her mother at 5 years of age.  Who was given to the neighbors to be raised.  Who survived the Great Depression.  Who lost a husband during WWII. Who was a widow at 20 -- while she was 6 months pregnant.  Who married my grandfather three years later.  My tough grandmother who never cries... cried.

It makes me tear up just thinking about it.

No comments: