Sunday, December 16, 2012

351/366 Done with the marathon




Last year, I trained for most of the year just to prepare myself for running the Jacksonville Bank Marathon in December.  It was rough and I swore I'd never run another one.

Alas, a little time passed and I forgot just how hard... and how painful the experience was.  Kind of like forgetting what labor feels like.

So, I signed up to run the Jacksonville Bank Marathon.   Again.  And it was today.

I felt great at the beginning of the run.  The weather was cool -- not cold -- and foggy.  Then the sun came up and burned off the fog and warmed up the day.  Really warmed up the day.

Still, I felt good at the halfway mark.  I felt good at mile 15.  I didn't bring my iPod and I happily relied on a few mantras that played in my head.

Somewhere around mile 18 or 19, I felt a snap in my knee and felt a searing pain that ran up to my butt.  It stopped me in my tracks.  I tried to walk to stretch my muscles out.  Since it hurt to run and to walk, I just ran so that I could get finished sooner.

There were moments that my teeth were gritted.  My running pace was so seriously impaired that I was almost shuffling at times.  But I finished, and only 5 minutes or so slower than last year.  But I was smiling as I crossed the finish line.  Truthfully, I felt good still -- with the exception of the gimpy knee.

After the run, I iced my knee and hobbled back to the truck.  After a shower and some lunch... and a few Ibuprofen, I am feeling much better!

And guess what?  I'm never running another marathon.  Never ever.

No comments: