Sunday, December 30, 2012

365/366 A hurtey back




Last night, Mr. Peabody was frisky and playful.  While out in the yard answering nature's call, he accidentally jumped too soon to jump up the step to the patio.  He banged his back legs and stomach on the step.

I could tell by the look in his eyes that it hurt.  But he wagged his tail and licked my face when I went to pick him up as if he were telling me that he was ok.  I placed him up on the sofa to cuddle with Dalton.

This morning, he wasn't in his bed.  I didn't worry about it since he sometimes likes to sleep on the sofa -- which is where I found him.  When he couldn't jump down, I knew he really was hurt.

Judging by the way he is walking, it looks like he has hurt his back.  Hurt backs in dachshunds is a BIG deal!  I called his mom and let her know.  She was very understanding and we worked out a plan of keeping him contained for the day until she can get him tonight.  He has had back issues in the past and rest and medicine has done the trick.

Pea is such a good patient, too, and he has tolerated the ice on his back all day.

We've all been sending healing thoughts to Peabody.  Even Mili has come up to kiss him and has left his Nylabone alone.  As much as she barks at him when they play, I think it has worried her that he is so still and quiet.

No comments: