Wednesday, May 9, 2012

130/366 Happy 22nd




My oldest son turned 22 years old today.  For some reason, it has struck an emotional chord for me.  He just graduated from college this past weekend and is now trying to sort out what he wants to do.

I gave him a funny card and then ruined it by writing from the heart to him.  Emotional ramblings rather ruin a funny card.

"I can't believe you are 22 -- the same age I was when I had you.  I've truly enjoyed watching you grow up and being a part of your life.  You are such an incredible person and I've been so lucky to have been your mom.  I can't imagine my life without you -- the son who just seems to understand me.  And I understand this about you.

You are your own worst enemy.

You are on the cusp of so much in your life.  No one gives a shit where you went to college or if you've ever drank too much.  What people will care about is how you treat others.  And that, Drew, is your gift.  You have always had a heart for people and a way of understanding that far exceeds your years.

Don't hold back.  I see the greatness in you and I hope one day that you see it, too."

We are topping all this emotional birthday wordage off with a family gathering for some pizza.  Nothing like a little bit of doughy crust to make everything better.


No comments: