Wednesday, May 30, 2012

151/366 Wistfulness



The last box was packed;   the last lamp was moved; the keys were handed in.   All my work things are now packed along a wall -- a wall in the school where I will be working for the upcoming school year.  Next week, I hope to unpack those things and bring them back into order before I go home for the summer.

I thought my last day in my current school would be more emotional and it surprised me when it wasn't.  My secretary cried as she hugged me goodbye at the end of the day.  I'm going to miss her and her effervescent laugh that lifted my soul.

Over the last seven years, I learned a lot within those school walls and absorbed many memories and emotions.  I've dealt with the death of a child.  I've heard threats against my well being.  I've watched children play and laugh and learn.  I've been sued (that would be my one point of advice for new administrators - accept that at some point in your career, you will be sued).  I've been to court to fight for a student's well being.  I've reported suspected abuse to the authorities.  And I've learned that I am much happier working closer with the students (no offense to the adults).

I'm going to miss that red roofed school house.

No comments: