Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sometimes the story matters more than the picture

On Memorial Day, during our annual grill out, my sister called me from work. Someone had abandoned two Basset Hounds and they were sleeping under a van. Pictures were texted. We ooohhhhed. We aahhhhed. And we began to fret.

Where could these dogs live? Who did we know that would give them a home?

I called someone I knew from Basset Hound Rescue. "Yes, of course, they really are Basset Hounds. Yes, we'll email a picture. Oh, you don't know anyone that can take them tonight?"

Once my husband gave me nod, I called my sister back. "Just bring them to my house and we'll keep them for the night."

The dogs arrived - with ribs and hips protruding - eager for some attention. Because of the fleas and unknowns about these dogs, we decided to keep them in the garage.

Big mistake.

After worrying that the garage would be too warm, I convinced my husband that we needed to move the dogs to the backyard and just keep Mili inside. Both my boys and their friends went outside with me - ready to help me move the dogs.

When the garage door opened, they RAN FOR THEIR LIVES! We called for them (but they didn't have names). We chased them (I ran for a long time in wedges - not ideal). We drove around looking for them.

In the end, we went home defeated. And dog-less.

All night long, I woke up worrying about those dogs. Would they find each other again? Would someone kind find them and take care of them?

On Tuesday, I drove around before work and after work looking for the dogs. No sightings and lots of angry drivers raising their fists at me.

On Wednesday, my husband called me. "Come home. The dogs are in the carport."

As I drove home, I stopped by the vets to pick up a couple of temporary leashes. As soon as I got out of my car, both dogs hopped up and began wagging their tail. How could someone abandon these girls? They were so sweet. And so skinny.

I plopped down in the driveway - clothes be damned - and let the dogs clamor all over me. Once the leashes were in place, we opened the car door and the dogs jumped right in (I swear it was a synchronized move) and we took them to our vet.

The prognosis is rough - Hook worms (treatable - but highly contagious) and Heart worms (too soon to tell how badly).

World, meet Flora and Fauna. They are two tough, little sweethearts who need a good home.

1 comment:

The Retired One said...

Ahhhhh! How nice of you to adopt them and care for them and fret over them...they must be sweethearts..you know...it is a well known fact that pets find YOU, you do not find them....